Sunday, June 10, 2012

I'm a Big Shot Now!

In January of this year I removed my orange apron, kissed my name tag with my name written in black magic marker and sadly removed my orange ballcap from where it rested ever so delicately upon my auburn locks.  I rolled my sampling cart into the storage room and covered it one last time.  And with that, I was gone.

Wal Mart stores every where stopped and held a collective breath as the guy in Customer Service announced over the world wide public announcement system, "May I have your attention, Shawnacee, the Wal Mart sample lady has left the building."

I, on the other hand had never been happier in my life!  I was on to bigger and better things.  I wanted to sit behind a desk, wear a real uniform with a real nametag where the name is actually engraved.  I was ready to mix and mingle with those in the corporate world, and to climb a few rungs on that corporate ladder!!

And that my dear readers is how I found myself employed at one of the most prestiges hotels in the world, whose name I shall keep private.  No 1970's decor or coin operated bed massagers here, no sir, at this hotel you are knee deep in swank, complete with bellman in red coats and an entire staff waiting to serve you!

The hotel industry, I love it!  You would think that after years of performing the duties of a Pastor's wife that I would run screaming in sheer terror from a building full of complaining and demanding people, but no, I embrace it, relish it, I LOVE IT!!  And so, I return from whence I came, serving people.  Plastering a smile on my face, and maintaining a calm, silky smooth, appropriately modulated voice I listen to both the complaints and compliments aimed at our fine establishment.

I sit behind my desk in the back office, my neck and spine alligned perfectly in delicate posture, and with a well cultured voice answer the phone thus, "Good morning/afternoon/evening, this is Shawnacee at your service, how may I assist you?"..............Wait, scratch that, back the truck up, my Holy Ghost won't let me, I told an ever so lily white lie.  The afore mentioned picture that I just painted for you is somewhat smudged.  In reality, I slouch in a posture that would bring shame upon my mother, my feet propped up on a desk that I share with at least one other person, sucking on a diet coke whilst popping skittles and m&m's into my mouth hoping and praying that I can swallow before the phone rings.  And I have learned one very valuable lesson..........one cannot transfer a call with one's big toe.  Well, to be honest, that description is a real stretch as well, but hey, it makes life more exciting.

So, what do I really do??  I am an AYS (at your service) agent at a very beautiful upscale hotel in Napa Valley and I couldn't be happier!  My duties include answering all calls, taking room service orders, signing out and signing in property keys, wake up calls, logging all complaint or repair calls as well as filing a number of very important documents daily into our data base.  Short of occasionally wanting to reach through the phone line and manually strangling a guest, or fantasizing of cutting out the tongue of an overly picky guest giving me their room service order, I enjoy what I do!  My coworkers are warm and welcoming and fun and there is never a dull moment!  And considering all the wild and wacky people that I encounter on a daily basis and their antics during their stay at our hotel, well, it's just too rich not to be shared!

So, stay tuned for future blogs on my very interesting employment, until then, I have to answer line two!  Tada, and do come again!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment